Hydrogen in India – A Demand Side Review
In this second and final article in the series, we take a look at the current market forces in play on the demand side situation of Hydrogen in India and also give our opinions from the perspective of end users of these gases and how it affects their business.
- Industrial demand in the Metal processing and treatment is increasing. Many applications are phasing out Cracked Ammonia to go for gas mixes with higher proportion of Hydrogen, for better metallurgy control and better finish.
- Many new applications specially for hydrogenation of Fats and Oils are going on stream.
- More applications for converting pollutants from chemical, dyes and intermediates plants to stable non polluting compounds using Hydrogen in the process.
- Hydrogen as a Fuel modifier or Fuel property enhancer, example HCNG has been experimented on a reasonable scale, and found it delivers benefits of reduced pollution, and better engine efficiency. This technology demonstration project with two Fuel stations in New Delhi is already in operation for the past 3 years.
- Hydrogen to be used for vehicle fuel. Progress in it’s implementation, though slow, is firmly progressing and companies like Indian Oil, Tata Motors, Ashok Leyland are continuing with their research and development in this arena quite aggressively.
- Increasing recognition for Fuel cells using Hydrogen to deliver pollution free electricity.
The supply sides constraints, and demand side upswing has led to the fact the typical Chlor Alkali plant in Gujarat (with many Chlor Alkali plants) the gate price of Hydrogen to be filled in bulk into trailer vehicles with manifold of 200 – 300 cylinders is Rs. 20/Nm3, today. Three years ago it was Rs. 10/Nm3 of Hydrogen.
Past few months, MVS has seen a surge in customers enquiring about their own captive Hydrogen generator, even from a Hydrogen rich state of Gujarat, also the most voracious Hydrogen consumer, asking for Hydrogen plants!!
We ask these prospects why? All say they frequently face Hydrogen black out days from their existing Hydrogen supply chain.
Read more about the above technologies on our Hydrogen pages.
Author: Mr. Rajeev Bhalla (V.P., Marketing, MVS Engineering Ltd.)
About the author: Rajeev is a technology evangelist and also a leading authority in on-site gas generation solutions. Hydrogen is a passion for Rajeev and he takes an all encompassing view when it comes to generation of Hydrogen. He takes a lot of interest to review Hydrogen from the user’s standpoint and hence is able to guide customers in selection of best-of-breed technologies. You may contact him at “rajeev @ www.mvsengg.com”.
About MVS Engineering Limited
MVS Engineering is a turnkey supplier of Gas generation equipment for Nitrogen, Oxygen and Hydrogengases. Additionally, we also manufacture Air, Gas, Liquid Dryers and also Gas Purification systems. MVS is the largest supplier of gaseous Nitrogen, Oxygen and Hydrogen plants in India. Besides India, MVS also regularly exports it’s equipment to the Middle East, Africa, South East Asia and Europe.
MVS was founded in 1977 and has supplied over 7000 Skid mounted units worldwide. Read more about the company in the About Us section of our website.